Sunday, September 28, 2008

To Art for TV Too

So my very talented sister is having a gallery opening featuring artists in the animation industry. The name of the show is To Art for TV Too. You can read an article about it on Cartoon Brew. I thought that the show would be a perfect opportunity to explore my Woman in Boxes exercise but in a much larger scale. I'm so happy with how it's turning out, I wanted to share my work in progress.
4'x4' masonite with a grid of 225 boxes at 3"x3" each
I've always wanted to try this, and the Show is a good excuse to try it out. Basically I had a masonite board cute to a square of 4'x4'.
A detail of what a roughed box looks like before I color
Each box is the same size as a standard postit 3"x3". I set in a boarder for the board at 1.5" leaving me with 15 boxes across, and 15 boxes down which add up to 225 boxes total!
I was introduced to carandache crayons during college '93 bfa film/video
My medium is Carandache Neocolor II crayons and I use a very small palette. A light orange, a redder orange, navy blue, marron, peach (for my hot highlights) and black (for my outlines).Each pose could be repeated but will never be treated the same.
Unlike my digital work, the I don't intend for each finished box to be perfectly rendered. I want the observer to see the marks I laydown on the board.
Exteme closeup of one completed box
So as long as I can finish at least 4 boxes a day, I'll have the work done in time a week before the show Dec 5th.

1 comment:

Just a guy with no need for a diner menu said...

225 boxes in total? Dde, that is AWESOME work.

EssBee